This page is still being updated.
Note 1: Any link from fx-c.com to an external website does not imply or mean that we endorse the content or the use of such website. The views and opinions of the authors of content published on other websites does not necessarily state or reflect the opinion of fx-c.com
Criteria for evaluating cryptocurrencies:
- Security over scalability. A more secure, less scalable currency is more valuable than a less secure, more scalable currency.
- Decentralization over centralization.
- Proof of work over proof of stake
Tier 1 PoW blockchains
- Bitcoin – Store of Value, Digital ‘gold'. Proof of Work through ASIC miners
- Snowblossom – A backup plan for Bitcoin, prepared for quantum computers, payment currency, Proof of Work through Large RAMs & SSDs, Snowblossom Content Channels (In development), Bitcoin's economic model,
- Amoveo – Financial Derivatives, Prediction Markets, Futarchy Governance, Proof of work through ASIC miners
- Read More
Tier 2 PoW Blockchains
- Ethereum – POW. ICO Platfrom, Non Fungible Token Platform, Smart Contract/Dapp platform
Zcash – POW, Privacy Coin , Fork of Bitcoin
Monero – POW, Cryptonote/RingCT Privacy Coin, Fork of Bytecoin
Tier 3 Other PoW blockchains
- Komodo – DPOW, Privacy Coin, Dapp platform, Zcash fork
Beam – POW, Mimblewimble Privacy Coin
Grin – POW, Mimblewimble Privacy Coin
- Bismuth – POW. Dapp Platform built from scratch with python
- Decred – POW+POS, Bitcoin Clone + On-chain Voting Governance
- Pascalcoin – POW, Payment Currency with Safebox, ‘Deletable blockchain'
- Mochimo – POW, payment currency, claimed to be quantum resistant ( ‘Patented', Closed source, big premine, thus currently it's very centralized)
Tier 4 Non-PoW Blockchain
- NYZO – Medium of exchange Currency; Proof of Diversity
- Avalanche – leaderless, metastable, and PoW-free BFT protocols
- Algorand – Pure proof of stake blockchain platform
- Byteball – Directed Acyclic Graphs (DAGs), payment currency
- Hashgraph – Directed Acyclic Graphs (DAGs), Smart Contract/Dapp platform
- Radix – non-blockchain cryptocurrency
- Nano – Block Lattice, payment currency, instant, zero-fee, scalable
- DFINITY – Proof of stake, decentralized cloud platform
- Cardano – Proof of stake, Smart Contract/Dapp platform
- zilliqa – Dapp platform
- Skycoin – non-PoW, permissioned dapp platform, utility coin for decentralized internet
- Cosmos – Proof of stake, Blockchain for interoperability
- BNB – Utility: Users are incentivized to hold BNB to get trading fee discounts, IEO privileges, referral bonus benefits from binance. BNB is probably one of the most widely used ‘utility coin'.
- 2019-7-12 https://archive.is/exS2g
- Stellar – FBA(Federated Byzantine Agreement), payment network, cross-border payments
- BurstCoin – Proof of space of storage
- Ardor – POS, Dapp platform
- ARK – DPOS,
- MaidSafe – autonomous and decentralised data network
- NEM – Proof of Importance
Tier 5 Utility Coin
Tier 6 Perhaps should not exist
- Types of coins or tokens that are more likely to be put into tier 6:
- very centralized
- not transparent
- have completely flawed/worthless/obsolete design
- mislead investors in order to make profit
- TRON – DPOS, Smart Contract/Dapp platform, Etnereum clone
- Ripple – cross-border payments (centralized coin)
- IOTA – Directed Acyclic Graphs (DAGs), (centralized coin)
- MIT Researchers found a critical vulnerability in the curl hash function that IOTA created.
- Erinn Atwater: https://archive.is/Puuuh
- Sarah Jamie Lewis https://archive.is/29NXP
- Nic Carter https://archive.is/lNemG
- EOS-DPOS(delegated proof of stake) Smart Contract/Dapp platform
- zerononcense – $NEO: The Great Heist (An Analytical Research Case Study) Pt. 1
- zerononcense – $NEO Serious Issues With $NEO: It Does NOT Work!
- OmiseGO $OMG
- Polkadot – Blockchain for interoperability
- Rchain – Proof of stake, Dapp platform
- Cloakcoin – Proof of stake Privacy Coin. Onion routing for anonymity
Dash – Privacy Coin, Pivx – Dash Fork
Verge $XVG – Privacy Coin. Onion routing for anonymity
- DPOS Coins: EOS, STEEM, Bitshares
- Shift DPOS Coin, Utility Coin for Decentralized Web
- Augur – Token on Ethereum, Prediction markets.
- Aeternity $AE – Ethereum Clone. Aeternity Telegram: https://t.me/aeternity
- MakerDAO – stablecoin on ethereum
- QuarkChain – Dapp platform
- Deepbrain Chain $DBC
Tier 7 Useless Coin/Token
- For all other digital assets:
- 1 Is it designed to be a trust-free or decentralized currency?
- 2 Will I use their coin myself if it becomes successful?
- If the answer is no for both questions, then they are tier 7 assets. Most utility tokens (Futility Tokens), enterprise blockchain coins, bank coins are in this category.
- Quant Network
- Power Ledger
- Quantstamp $QSP, Bancor $BNT
- TenX $PAY
- And majority of the tokens (Subcurrencies) below:
7.1 Intention or technology might be good, but should they really have a token?
7.2 Long Scams, Not so obvious scams:
- Most centralized useless tokens
- Some enterprise blockchain coins or bank coins
7.3 Quick Scams /Obvious Scams
8 List of projects that raised more money than is necessary or have huge premine
Developers should be well paid, but the following project raised outrageous amounts:
- EOS – Dapp platform
- Tezos – Dapp platform with On-Chain Governance
Summaries of different cryptocurrencies
Digestible summaries for some coins: https://twitter.com/Dmitriysz/status/972538280062447617