|Type||Provident Association based in the United Kingdom|
|Headquarters||Taunton, Somerset, UK|
- WPA, or Western Provident Association, is a not-for-profit private medical insurance firm based in Taunton, Somerset.
- Its subsidiary, WPA Protocol Plc, administers corporate healthcare trusts.
- WPA was described by the World Health Organization as leading in the development of coinsurance, or “shared responsibility”, policies, in which the patient pays a portion of the liability until an agreed limit.
WPA Protocol Plc
- WPA Protocol administers corporate healthcare trusts.
- This is an alternative arrangement to private medical insurance whereby larger companies, defined by Protocol as usually those with 400 or more members, can use WPA's infrastructure to administer their own healthcare provision.
- Companies provide the funds from a trust, and WPA Protocol provides bespoke literature and telephone lines, as well as staff, infrastructure and economies of scale.
WPA Healthcare Practice Plc
- The WPA Healthcare Practice Plc is a wholly owned subsidiary of WPA, authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
- Healthcare Partners (franchisees), either as sole traders or limited companies, are Appointed Representatives of the WPA Healthcare Practice Plc.
- Partners buy into the Healthcare Practice franchise model – they market and distribute WPA health insurance products on WPA's behalf.
- The Healthcare Practice is WPA's main distribution channel with responsibilities for the appointment and monitoring of Healthcare Partners.